Friday, July 16, 2010

Birth Story ( a little late)


Let's hope I can remember all of this!

June 26th, I was convinced that I would go to the date I was scheduled to be induced. Husband and I went for a short walk that evening, and watched a movie. Got ready for bed around 11:00. Baby was very active with low punches, and I couldn't get comfortable in bed. I rolled from my back to by left side when all of a sudden, my water broke. And that is an understatement. I'm talking Niagara falls, gushing. (I thought that only happened in the movies) While I was in the bathroom waiting for my doctor to call me back and trying to control Niagara falls, Chris put the last minute items in the suitcase. I was extremely nervous and excited at the same time.
We got to the hospital at a little after midnight, checked in and was wheeled up to the maternity floor. From there everything goes into fast pace. We got to my suit, I went to the bathroom to change out of my clothes and into the hospital gown. No sooner then I get into the bed, my contractions started. The nurse checked me and said I was at 3 centimeters. I asked for an epidural and was told they like to wait a little longer.
An hour later, my contractions where camel backing and where right on top of each other. Some of them never completely went away and just rolled into another one. My contractions where longer then the rest period in between. The nurse came in to check me again, and I was at 5 centimeters, she gave me a shot to help me relax between the contractions. Which would have been great, if I would have time to actually relax! Soon after, I starting shaking. I mean whole body shaking like the chills, but non-stop. She said it was just my body's way of dealing with labor, and if I tried to fight it it would get worse. Everything after that just rolls into the next thing. The anesthesiologist came in and gave me my epidural, which worked for 2 hours, and then I started to feel the contractions again. At the same time as this is happening, the nurse comes in because my blood pressure was dropping and she had to give me a shot to bring it back up. A few minutes after that, she came in and had me switch positions because the baby's heart rate was dropping. All the while I am pushing my button on the epidural and it still isn't working. I finally push the button for the nurse at 4:15 am, I knew it was time to push because I could feel pressure, however I didn't want to because I could feel every contraction and just wanted more drugs! She comes in and checks me and I am fully dilated and ready to go, there isn't time for anymore drugs. The doctor comes in and the pushing begins. I am not making any progress, the baby is posterior. We continue to push for 40 minutes and now the baby's heart rate is starting to drop with every push. (Plus, the baby had passed meconium, so every minute he was in there, increased the health risk to him) The doctor comes in and says that it is time to take me in for a c section for the health of the baby. I have no objections at this time. They rush me over to the OR and Chris changes into his scrubs. They give me another epidural, and start to perform the scratch test to make sure it is working. All is good until the get to the right side or my stomach. I can feel it. They wayt a few minutes, and try again. I can still feel it. And this time, they decide it is best to put me completely under. I am slightly frightened, but I just wanted to get everything over with at this point. The whole night has been a weird experience, and I almost feel like I am present for everything, but not actually going through it, even though the pain has been very real. Chris is not allowed in the room once they put me under and has to wait in the hall. Jaxson Xavier was born at 5:19 am, (with his umbilical cord wrapped around his neck) while mommy was sleeping and daddy was in the hallway. Mommy finally got to meet her son at around 8:00 that morning.
Recovery has not been easy as well. The first day was extremely painful, I remember asking for more drugs as soon as I woke up. Before even asking for my son, I'm not sure at that point if I even remembered why I was there. The second day I was there, they made me get out of bed, which was horrible as well.
I am now approaching three weeks since the birth of my son, I am feeling really good.  Still limited in movement, and I get tired easily. And my stomach can be very tender or if I move to quickly, can feel like it is ripping.
But in the end, I have a very healthy and beautiful son. Who was so worth every once of pain. I love him with all of my heart, in fact he is my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment